A special report from Mark Wigglesworth, making his return to the 2nd XI this weekend.

2nd XI go top of the league with great team performance


After 2 days of rain, it was testament to the covers and ground staff that the 2nd XI were able to start
on time and hope to continue their winning run at The ACG.

With regular captain Martin Dickinson missing, it was Dave Howard who lead the side and after
winning the toss elected to bat on what was a very green track. Jo Nash and Umer Khan opened the
batting against a very youthful Studley Royal bowling attack.

Both players looked very assured at the crease and played some delightful shots. Umer in particular
was unlucky with several glorious shots going straight to a fielder. His luck was to get worse when he
was out to an early candidate for catch of the season when he was caught by the diving cover fielder
for 14.

Jo continued to tick the score along, now partnered with Vince Greaves-Newall, and these two
moved the score onto 61 before Jo was bowled for a well made 34. The highlight of which was a flick
over square leg for 6 into the field.

Alex O’Neill then joined Vince at the crease to hopefully get some time in the middle. This wasn’t to
be the case as Alex was given out LBW to one that looked a bit high. Mark Wigglesworth, making his
first appearance since July 2015, came in at 4 but again didn’t last long after playing all round a
straight one from the opening bowler Joe Sprowell to give him his first wicket.

Josh Rhodes was next to enter the fray at number 6 and along with Vince they took the score onto
109. Josh making a vital 18 including 3 boundaries, until he was out to another contender for catch
of the season, when Phil Newton took a low one-handed catch at 1st slip.

With the overs running out, the run rate needed to climb to give Arthington a good total to defend,
and so enter Faiyaz. He proceeded to up the tempo and moved the score on very quickly. This
seemed to inspire Vince to do the same, but he pushed his luck once too often and was out stumped
off the bowling of the young slow bowler Max Ramsden for his first wicket. Vince made a very good

37 including 6 4’s, but his dismissal does finally give him an average for the season now, which
stands at a staggering 192!

Faiyaz continued his assault on the Studley bowling, dispatching the ball to all parts, including 2 6’s,
one of which sailed over the sightscreen at the tennis court end. He was to eventually fall in the
penultimate over for a quickly made 29 to get Arthington over the 150 mark. The innings finished
with just one more run scored to leave the visitors needing 152 to take the points.

With the green wicket having provided ample help for the Studley bowlers, it was hoped the it
would do the same for the home side, and it was to prove the case. Joe Seabourne opened the
bowling from the Tennis Court end and immediately got the ball moving around and caused several
problems for the opening batsmen. At the other end, Martin Hings was his usual accurate self, again
causing problems for the batsmen.

Joe made the first breakthrough when he had the opener clean bowled for 14. In came Phil Newton
at 3, and Arthington needed to dismiss him quickly and Joe duly delivered when he had him LBW for
10. Joe picked up another one before the end of his spell and so with both bowlers bowling their
allocated 10 overs straight through, Studley were 38 for 3 at drinks. Both bowlers returning superb
figures with Joe 3-25 and Martin 0-13.

With 113 needed from 20 overs, it was still very much game on and Arthington knew this. Vince
came into the attack replacing Joe and bowled very tightly to keep the run rate down. With Dougie
Jones replacing Martin at the other end, he tried in vein to get another breakthrough, but
unfortunately couldn’t get into a rhythm with his bowling, so was taken out of the attack after 5
overs. This meant Vince switching ends, but the master stroke meant Faiyaz could bowl from the
Tennis Court end and proceeded to remove the Studley number 6 when he had him caught by Joe
Seabourne for 35. It was a vital breakthrough as he and the opener Sam Grass had put on 62 for
their side and were keeping their hopes of victory alive.

Faiyaz was at it again in his next 2 overs when he struck 3 times to virtually end Studley’s hopes of
victory as they were now 119-9 with only 3 overs left. It was the dismissal of Sam Grass that was the
key, as the opener had played very well to top score with 38, until he was given out LBW. It was left
to Vince to wrap up the match as Studley were all out in the 38 th over for 123.

Another victory and 19 points meant that along with Upper Wharfedale’s match falling to the
weather, Arthington top the table and will look continue the winning form next week away at
Walton Park.

A special mention must go to all the Studley players, and in particular the juniors. There are some
very good future players in the making there and Studley will be a handful for any side with that sort
of performance.

Finally, another special mention to Jo and Gareth for their efforts with the groundwork. Without
that, the game would never have proceeded and the club are indebted for all their hard work.