Arthington fail to progress after crazy cup clash

Thanks to Ken Clayton for the below summary of Arthington 2nd XI’s recent cup match against Ben Rhydding.

On Thursday 10th June a somewhat depleted Arthington 2nd XI travelled to Ben Rhydding for the Peter Bentley cup second round match having had a bye in the first round.

Missing three front line bowlers in Joe Seaborne, Vince Greaves-Newall and Mohammed Faiyazuddin, captain Martin Dickinson won the toss and elected to bat. Opening with himself and Umer Khan, the duo made a steady start against fairly tight bowling. The first five overs only saw three boundaries even though there was an inviting short boundary to one side of the square.

The pair eventually accelerated the run rate when the fourth change bowler came on, taking 11 off his first over. Dickinson hit a rare straight six off his next over but there were a few too many ‘air’ shots instead of taking advantage of the short boundary and the defensive field. Khan got into his stride with some lovely cover drives and a superb pull into the tennis courts for six. Dickinson was bowled by James Davidson, Ben Rhydding’s best bowler, having made a solid 42. Wasim Malik went in with five overs to go and Arthington were hoping for some late fireworks but it was not to be, as he was caught in the deep off Davidson. When Gareth Meredith was run out shortly after, it was left to Jo Nash to show how to take some excellent quick singles. Khan was eventually caught and bowled by Charles Isherwood for 47 and Arthington finished with a respectable 132 for 5.

Ben Rhydding got on the front foot early in their innings, helped by a bit of wayward pace from Wasim Malik. Chris Maunsell and Luke Thompson put together a stand of more than 70 before Dougie Jones bowled Thompson at the end of the tenth over. Maunsell continued to take on the bowling, pulling several boundaries from outside off-stump to the short boundary. Ben Rhydding appeared to become rather cavalier at this stage thinking the game was all but over. They lost two wickets to good catches from Khan and Jones and with tight bowling from Jones and Martin Hings they began to panic. 

There then followed one of the most bizarre final overs you will see in any game of cricket. Needing four to win off the last over from Hings, Maunsell took a quick single off the first ball. Next ball Wasim Malik took a superb overhead catch to dismiss Ethan Copping. Next, Maunsell, who had contributed 70 of the opposition’s 103 runs off the bat, ran himself out going for another quick single.

Two further run-outs followed with Ben Rhydding’s batsmen attempting suicidal singles, the bails being removed by Hings accompanied by delighted whoops! This left Ben Rhydding batsman Davidson needing to score three to win off the last ball. Two runs and a tie would still mean defeat for Ben Rhydding as they had lost more wickets. His wild swing found the top edge of the bat and the ball looped over keeper Dave Howard’s head to the only part of the boundary left unguarded. A very unfortunate end to the game for Arthington, who briefly thought they had dragged victory from the jaws of defeat.

Nevertheless, this was a commendable effort from Arthington who must now concentrate on promotion from Division 7.